Thursday, April 29, 2010

Moldmaking project revisited

I finally got a chance to pick up some more mold making supplies so I can finish customizing my battlesuits. As much as I love my Tau, I really do not like the look of the current XV8 battlesuits. They are too boxy, top heavy and don't match anything else in the Tau universe. The Forgewold ones look great with curves and panel lines that flow like the rest of the army. The new XV9 pushes this even further. The look like they are ready to swoop in and move with lightning speed. If only they were in the current codex.

Several months ago I began redesigning my suits to look more like this.

This is a landmate from the Appleseed anima and they seemed like a pervect fit for Tau. Looks cool doesn't it. Sleek and nimble, even with its bulk. A fast moving, stealthy killer. So how do I get to this with the XV as a base, lots of green stuff and a big pile of stealth suit parts. Lets start with the legs. For the upper section I am using the top part of an stealth suit head to get the curved shape. The jets at the back will be the grenade launchers for pulse carbines. The lower leg and foot, more stealth parts. The torso will begin as a FW Broadside with larger shoulder joints and a stretched torso to make room for the second arms. The backpack and antenna will likely be a mix of burst cannon and heavy gun drone parts. The easiest part is the head. There are already plans for this floating around on ATT I just have to dig them up.

Since I need to build a few of these, something like a dozen, I am going to be making molds for this one. I will need a leg & arm mold, one for the new torso and pelvis, another for the backpack and lastly one for the head. So stay tuned to see the build and mold making process.

Now that I told you that I can tell you about what I was working on last night, making a parts mold for some new missile packs for my broadsides. This is another on of those parts that is a little plain that could use some sprucing up. For these I found a great looking Gundam pack that liks like it will work but has 1 problem. Getting enough to outfit a dozen or more suits. Resin to the rescue. So lat night I did the first mold of the unmodified part. This way I don't destroy my only one modifying it to fit the look I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails