Monday, May 3, 2010

Fold Away Table part 2 - The base

I decided to put on my Bob the Builder hat and put together the base for the table today. Orginally I was going to copy the design of the cutting table but decided against it for a couple of reasons. First there was no easy way to add under table storage. Second my chop saw died, this meant that I couldn't do the half lap joints I was wanting to make the thing rock solid. Fear not this is not the end of the project, just a chance for me to get creative.

The bulk of the center section is made form a 1x12" board and 1x3" support rails. I used the thicker 1x3" to give the feet a little more strength. There will be allot of twisting forces on these parts as it is rolled around and the last thing I want to deal with is broken parts. The wheels are plastic locking casters that swivel so movement should be easy. Don't skimp when you do this yourself and skip the locking casters unless you want o be chasing your table down in the middle of a game.

The next part turned out to be the hardest, building the side supports. Thanks to the demise of my do everything chop saw, I had to fall back to my jig say to cut the parts. At first I tried cutting half lap joints with it and found it, lacking. So another trip to the hardware store was in order. Since purchasing another saw as not a wife friendly option, I went with angle brackets and a bunch of clamps. Several hours later I had a pair of working side supports. Someday I will post the full design but for now take a look at the pictures and see if you can figure it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails